It was only 9:30 when I finished up the panties, so, I thought I would get the embroidery done on her dress.
I had already decided to just put her name or her initials on the dress as the fabrics* I picked out were kind of busy and I felt like a design would be too much competition. I didn't like any of the fonts that I already had on my machine so off to search the inter-webs! I found two fonts that I really liked here (actually I like most all of them), but finally settled on Ainsley, but I also bought another font to play with later.
Folks, this is where the trouble all started. I'm not going to get into the entire long story, but suffice it to say, it took me 2.5 hours to get her name done. It was totally my fault, I should have gone to bed and started fresh in the morning, but oh no! Not me!
I went to bed after washing the wash-out marker out of the fabric and then laying it on the ironing board.
When I woke up, it was back to the grind stone. I iron the front and then made up the dress. It's a completely reversible pinafore dress that ties in the back with ribbons, a snap, or button and loop closure.
Side 1 view:
Side 2 view:
I'll bet y'all think that I've forgotten how to sew clothes for an adult! I have to say that sewing for a baby/toddler is very rewarding. They (most of the) time wear what you put on them and they rarely have fitting issues.
* In an effort to be frugal and use up larger scraps of fabric, I used leftovers from this dress and paired it with 5/8 yd of a cheerful floral from the same line (Happy Campers by Moda). That 5/8 was just the perfect amount for the panties and the reverse side of her dress. Just small scraps left of both of these fabrics. Yea!